Ghent and its 13 suburbs offer a home to approximately 250.000 people. Of these, 13.000 live in the suburb of Oostakker. The home is located at 7 km from the historic centre of the city. You can easily get into Ghent using the bicycle (that comes with the house) or public transport (8 busses an hour at your doorstep). Or rent a car for one or multiple days and explore our beautiful Belgium (acces to highways at 2 km).
The street is a quiet street, with not much traffic or passers-by. In the morning and evening, parents walk their kids to school and people on bicycles pass on their way to work. I do most of my shopping locally by foot and bicycle.
- Supermarket across the street (20m, 1 min)
- Within 100m (1 min walking): 2 Fresh Bakeries
- Within 300m (3 min walking): Post Office, City Hall, 3 banks and ATMs, Library, night shop, french fries take away, pitta and pizza, flower shop, pharmacy, optician, restaurant and bar
- Within 500m: kindergarten, pre-school, primary, elemantary, middle school
- Within 1 km: Several General Practicioners that speak English, Dentist, Physiotherapist
- Within 5 to 8 kilometers, accessible by bus and bicycle: two major hospitals, (Sint-Lucas and University Hospital), Swimming Pool and Sport Grounds of the city, Fitness Club.
- There is a busstop at 300m (4 min walking), 8 busses an hour, direct lines to the two railwaystations of the city (Ghent Sint Pieters and Ghent Dampoort) and direct connections into the heart of Ghent (20 min)
- There is a bicycle for you to use: explore the Port of Ghent with its beautiful industrial architecture or go bicycling in the rural areas up north and enjoy wide open views (both at the doorstep of the home)
- Acces to the main Belgian Highways (E17 Kortrijk – Antwerp and E40 Ostend – Brussels – Liège) at 2 km (3 min driving).
There is a very equal distribution of all age groups and family compositions (singles, couples, with and without children). It is home to many young families and young professionals. People living here tend to work in the City or the Port of Ghent, or choose to live here because they can easily access the highways to go work in Brussels, Antwerp or Kortrijk. There is a very low crime-rate and only exceptional annoyances (noise, problems with garbage etc)